Friday, August 31, 2012

Poodle Moth? More like Angora Moth!

I love science and nature. Ever since I caught my first National Geographic documentary as a kid I've been glued to the set surfing for any and all shows on nature. I am so lucky, at least as far as entertainment goes, that now we have whole channels dedicated to National Geographic, science, and animals. Sir Richard Attenborough's documentaries, by the way, I cannot recommend enough. You've probably heard of Planet Earth and Life, but his Life in the Undergrowth and Life in Cold Blood are excellent as well. Since they are so focused on insects and reptiles and amphibians, you get much more time with those critters than in the general documentaries Planet Earth and Life.

Why am I going into all this? Well, as I mentioned before, when I write I often look to the real world for inspiration and these strange little creatures certainly inspire me. You'll come to see as I post more glossary entries that nature has heavily influence my fantasy writing. I also find it fertile territory for my forays into science fiction, which I'm hoping you'll see some of in the near future. They say that truth is stranger than fiction. I've found there is nothing stranger than some of the stuff you can find in nature.

This little moth with the big attitude (pictured above) showed up recently. They've nicknamed it the poodle moth, but I think it's more of an angora moth. It's like a little angry angora rabbit morphed with a moth. Is it scary or adorable? I'm on the fence. This particular shot does look as if this tough guy is about to launch itself into your face. It's a moth with a grudge.

Okay, well enough of fuzzy things, though saying that seems all kinds of wrong. My books sales for the month have been promising. I'm very happy with my progress, modest though it is. Thanks again to everyone who picked up a copy of either of my books. Sometime next week I'll post another entry from the glossary for anyone who comes by here to enjoy. Until then, I'll try to believe this fuzzy moth wants me to pet it and not to chase me out of its territory.

No comments:

Post a Comment