Monday, September 24, 2012

Underwater Inspirations


I find it interesting to read where different authors get their inspiration from. Everyone seems to have their own way of thinking up new stories. When I was in college my creative writing prof believed you could be inspired by anything. To prove it, he passed around a blank piece of paper and asked us each to doodle something on it. When the paper was passed around the whole class he took it and made photocopies of it. Then he passed out the copies and told us to write a story based on what was on the paper. I actually recently found that little short story, and without any context wondered what it was for a while before I placed it. Here it is in all its unedited splendor:

The eggs grew cold as I stared at the cook cracking them open, and the man in the booth next to mine thought he was so cool because he had this sweet bow tie with the picture of a drunk dog and two butterflies on it, but I couldn't help noticing that he was crazy, kind of out of it because of his habit of smoking with his mouth full, but I didn't care anyway because the waitress came to me and told me that I had to ski or die so I stepped outside as she pointed her semiautomatic at my head and hopped onto the pair of skis there thinking how did these get here? Lucky for me the diner was at the top of a hill and as I flew pass the snowman I began to think of spring and of how the flowers looked when suddenly I saw a strange man staring at me in a cold and calculating way, and all I wanted was to go home and I swore I would never come this way again because after all it wasn't a shortcut anyway. 

Yes. A masterpiece. I know. I kind of only really remember the "ski or die" part because it was the trickiest bit to fit in. Someone had doodled the logo - at least I vaguely recall this being the logo of some company that made sporting wear - on the paper next to the various other doodles of cracked eggs, flowers, eyes, a gun... I think you get the picture (pardon the pun). In any case, though the story won't win any awards, it did make me realize you can find inspiration for things in unlikely places. Which brings me to the video I linked. While sometimes it takes work to find inspiration, the images from that underwater museum almost write a story themselves. Imagine an adventurer stumbles across a site like that. One day I hope I get the chance to visit it. Until then, these videos and my imagination will have to suffice.

No comments:

Post a Comment